Deaf Minds Education is a Deaf-led organisation based in the UK. Our mission is to improve the mental health of Deaf children all over the UK by using early intervention training courses in schools.
HEARING LOSS AFFECTS
million people in the UK (1)
BSL USING DEAF POPULATION
are likely to have mental health issues (2)
have mental health problems (3)
experience some kind of abuse (4)
Deaf Minds Education
We aim to provide support to primary, secondary and college educated Deaf children who are being educated in mainstream schools. We want the school as a whole, including parents, teachers and students, to understand the barriers facing Deaf children in a mainstream environment. Our specialist experience can support the education of school and college leaders and staff to be empowered to tackle mental health and wellbeing issues of both staff and students. When a Deaf child enters mainstream school they can feel isolated, lonely, anxious and depressed, this is due to communication issues, lack of awareness from their hearing peers and teachers, and misinformation or misunderstandings about how Deaf children should be treated within a mainstream environment. Our educational training aims to promote Deaf awareness, and more specifically Deaf mental health awareness, within educational settings.
"We are campaigning for a future where all young Deaf minds are supported and empowered, whatever challenges they face"
Shaun Fitzgerald - Co-Founder of Deaf Minds Education
Our mission is to bridge the gap between the hearing and the Deaf worlds with a view to reduce the frequency of mental health conditions and suicide within our Deaf community.
- We can achieve this by providing families and professionals with the guidance they need to fully understand the implications of being deaf in a hearing world.
- We aim to support the wellbeing of Deaf children and adolescents by providing information and education to those supporting them.
- We are fighting for a future where all young Deaf minds are supported and empowered - whatever challenges they face.
- We strive to blend leading edge expertise with the personal experiences of our leadership team to provide an exceptional level of support and education.
- We are committed to working closely with school and college leaders and staff and to equip them to tackle mental health and wellbeing issues of Deaf learners their organisations.
Deaf Minds Education is proudly sponsored by
We're proud to be sponsored by some of the world's leading organisations. With their help, we're working together to support the needs of Deaf learners in mainstream education.